Best Moisturizer After Fraxel
If you’re in the process of recovering from your Fraxel laser treatment, then it is important to ensure that you moisturize daily in order to achieve the best results long term. If you aren’t already using a moisturizer as part of your daily skincare regime, then now is a good, but also important time to start.
Fraxel treatment isn’t necessarily the harshest form of laser treatment available, but it is still important to treat your face during the healing process, to maintain hydration and moisture, but also to reduce the appearance of redness and swelling; side effects that you are more than likely to experience during your recovery period.
Fraxel treatment is to target either of these three issues: hyperpigmentation or sun damage, wrinkles, or acne scarring.
If you’re considering Fraxel treatment or are in the recovery process and looking for the best moisturizers to help with the healing, then we have saved you the hard work and selected our top five favorite picks for you!
In a hurry then don’t worry, we’ve picked out our favorite pick below!
Our editors research, and guide on the best products; learn about our editorial policy. We may get a commission on purchases made from our chosen links.
In a hurry? This is our Winner!
WINNER: 5% Niacinamide Vitamin B3 Cream Serum
When recovering from Fraxel treatment, it is important to find a product that provides the skin with all of the right nutrients that it needs and the 5% Niacinamide vitamin B3 cream serum does just that.
We’ve selected this product as our top pick, as it has all the right ingredients to actively boost the collagen in our skin and vitamin B3 which helps to reduce wrinkles. This anti-aging cream is a staple when it comes to rejuvenating the appearance of our skin.
After use, this cream will leave your skin looking plump and hydrated thanks to the moisturizing niacinamide skin formula, giving your skin a bright and youthful appearance and helping to get rid of the post-Fraxel redness that may appear for some.
If this wasn’t enough to convince you, this cream is also paraben and cruelty-free and is suitable for all skin types.
You can also introduce this cream to your skincare regime both day and night or whatever you choose to be more suitable for you, giving you that radiant-looking glow in next to no time.
- The moisturizer is easy to apply due to the improved airless pump dispenser, meaning that you can get all the product you need from just one pump
- Luminositie has worked to create a skincare formula with all-natural ingredients giving your skin all that it needs without the fear of irritation
- Despite being slightly more expensive than your regular drugstore brand, it is still an affordable option
- It’s lightweight with easy application to the skin
- Reviews show that many customers have found that it smooths and brightens the skin within the first couple of uses, an important factor when recovering from Fraxel treatment
- It has a somewhat sticky texture which some may find unappealing during the application of the product
- Some customers did not see results as soon as they were hoping to
#2: CeraVe Skin Moisturising Lotion
Our next pick is the daily face and body moisturizing lotion by Cerave. This moisturizer is perfect for giving your skin the 24-hour hydration that it needs. With three essential ceramides, it helps to protect the skin’s natural barrier, something which is super important when healing from Fraxel treatments, as you want your skin to have a hydrated and healthy glow.
The moisturizer is formulated with hyaluronic acid, an ingredient that helps to restore our skin’s natural moisture. If this wasn’t enough it also helps to replenish the ceramides and delivers lasting moisture through MVE patented technology.
The CeraVe moisturizing lotion hydrates the skin without clogging pores, an essential factor in the healing of Fraxel laser treatment.
- The pump delivers a measured amount of product so you aren’t using more lotion than is needed
- It absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave the skin feeling greasy
- It keeps skin feeling soft throughout the day
- Many people have Fraxel treatment on their arms, neck, and hands, making this an ideal product as it is suitable for body use as well as facial use
- The pump isn’t as effective once the bottle is half full as it struggles to collect the product
- It has a thicker consistency which can sometimes make it harder to blend into the skin
#3: CETAPHIL Moisturizing Lotion
Next up is the Cetaphil moisturizing lotion. This moisturizer is ideal for use on the body and face, making it a great option for post-Fraxel treatment, as it can be applied wherever necessary. The cream is specially formulated to treat chronically dry skin, something which some may suffer with after Fraxel treatment, as it can sometimes leave your skin with a dry and flaky feel.
It is a lightweight, non-comedogenic moisturizer that has been formulated to avoid the clogging of pores.
This moisturizing lotion works to soothe and hydrate whilst also protecting the natural protective barrier. Impressively, this product has also been clinically proven to bind water to the skin and prevent moisture loss, leaving your skin with a natural, healthy appearance.
- It is fragrance-free making it suitable for sensitive skin as it is less likely to cause adverse skin reactions
- It is free of lanolin which can sometimes irritate sensitive skin and cause allergic reactions
- It doesn’t have an expensive price tag and it is an affordable option
- The formulation works to enhance the skin’s natural moisture
- Provides long-lasting moisture throughout the day and night
- It has a greasy texture and can sometimes leave the face and body feeling oily
- The packaging is flimsy making it more likely to break and the pump doesn’t always give enough product
#4: NEOCUTIS Overnight Smoothing Bio Cream
The NeoCutis Bio cream works to smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles whilst working to soothe the skin and restore moisture. It is a good choice particularly for those recovering from aesthetic procedures and treatments, making it an ideal product choice for those who have undergone Fraxel laser treatment.
It has been tested by dermatologists and is a non-comedogenic moisturizer meaning that you can use it without the fear of clogging your pores after treatment.
It is an overnight cream to be applied as part of your nightly routine, working to hydrate and moisturize your skin throughout the night, waking up with a youthful and radiant glow.
- Skin appears firmer and plumper after the first few applications
- It isn’t a heavy product to apply to the skin and a thin layer can be blended in with ease
- Only a small amount of product is needed at a time, making the product a long-lasting option
- Many customers notice results from the first few uses
- It is fragrant-free and doesn’t aggravate sensitive skin
- It is slightly pricier than your drugstore options
- Some customers have complaints in regard to the packaging of the product as the pump, in particular, is susceptible to breaking
#5: Vanicream Moisturizing Cream with Pump
Our next pick is the Vanicream Moisturizing cream with a pump for easy application. This cream is free of a whole list of ingredients including fragrance, masking fragrance, lanolin, parabens, formaldehyde, and gluten, and is approved by dermatologists. So, you can get reassurance that the product we apply to your skin is safe.
If you choose you can introduce this product as part of your nighttime routine or as a daily moisturizer and it is suitable for use on the face, body, and hands; the most common areas you target with Fraxel laser treatment.
- This product received an award as the seal of acceptance from the national eczema association, highlighting that it can ease problematic dry skin areas; a side effect that can sometimes occur after Fraxel
- It is suitable for sensitive skin and soothes red, irritated, or itchy skin areas
- The moisturizer also comes with an affordable price tag making it an accessible option even if you’re on a budget
- The cream is of a thick consistency but is still easy to apply to the skin and absorbs quickly
- It has a greasy texture which can sometimes leave the skin feeling heavy
- For some people, this cream caused their skin to become irritated, therefore it is important to test the product before carrying out your purchase
Post-Fraxel Moisturizers – Buyers Guide
Fraxel treatment usually targets the neck, hands, décolletage, and arms, therefore it is important that you select a product that is most suitable when it comes to targeting all of these areas.
Preparing your skin
Before purchasing any moisturizer there are steps that you can take yourselves in order to allow your skin to heal in the best possible way. Preparing your skin prior to the treatment is a significant factor. Ensuring that you don’t have extensive wounds, breakouts or infections is important as Fraxel treatment is only likely to worsen these, or not have the desired effect that you were hoping to achieve. It is also important to stop using any form of products that have retinoids in them a week before, in order to allow your skin to prepare ahead of your treatment.
When it comes to finding a moisturizer it is important to find a gentle one that doesn’t have any harsh or strongly fragrant ingredients, as this is likely to cause an adverse reaction on your skin. Even though Fraxel treatment isn’t one of the harshest forms of laser treatment, this doesn’t mean that it is a good option to continue using your daily moisturizer if the listed ingredients contain stronger chemicals.
The most effective moisturizers will firm and tighten the skin, whilst also reducing the appearance of wrinkles and spots and boosting the skin’s natural collagen.
Stronger isn’t Always Better in Skincare
When looking for a suitable moisturizer to use in the first week or so after treatment, it is important to stay away from those stronger ingredients such as alpha hydroxy or beta hydroxy acids, retinol, or alcohol. This is due to these being stronger ingredients which can be too harsh on many skin types after receiving the treatment. A gentle moisturizer will become your best friend and a staple in your skincare routine. It is also recommended to use a moisturizer with non-irritating ingredients, as this is something that you definitely don’t want to be experiencing after having Fraxel treatment.
Anti-Aging Properties are Key
As Fraxel laser treatment is most commonly used to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, it is useful to choose a moisturizer for the healing period that is effective in treating this problem area, in order for you to see noticeable results. Anti-aging products are particularly good in this case, as the main aim of one of these products is to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Therefore it is useful to opt for a moisturizer with anti-aging qualities.
Thick Moisturizers are Heavy on the Skin
It is also best to stay away from thick moisturizers as these can be too heavy on the skin in the immediate period post-treatment. A lighter moisturizer will be easier to apply and blend into the skin. If you do opt for a moisturizer with a thick consistency ensure that it has effective absorbent qualities, so that it doesn’t just sit on your skin. You’re also a lot better off opting for a non-comedogenic moisturizing product, which means that the product won’t clog your pores, an essential in the healing period of fraxel treatment as ideally you would want the pores to be healing naturally.
As with any product that is going to be used on your skin, it is important to carry out a patch test even for the gentle products that have been dermatologically tested. This is because different skin types can react to products differently and how it reacts with someone else’s skin may not be the same for yours. Simply take a small amount of product and apply it to a small area of your body. If you do not notice any adverse reactions then it is likely that your skin agrees with this product and you are safe to make a purchase.
This is a particularly important step after having fraxel treatment, as you do not want to be applying products to your skin that may aggravate or delay the healing of fraxel-treated areas.
Frequently Asked Questions
We know, you might have some questions. And, gladly, plenty of other readers have done the job for you. So, here are some of the most common questions we’re asked.
Don’t see the answer you need? Feel free to comment below or contact us at [email protected]; we’ll be happy to take care of you!